Anonymous: What are your top tips for being a good girlfriend?
I saw your question a few days ago and wondered what my answer was.
Still don’t know.
From your friend,
I JEST. I jest.
I have some thoughts about what makes a good girlfriend:
- Be who you were when you met him, with the exception of being a better version of who you were when you met him.
- Be supportive; be his team mate. Lift him up when he’s down and share the delights when he is up. Expect reciprocity.
- Keep your own plans, friends and social activity up. Don’t become the girl who drops everything for a dude. That girl is a dingus.
- Be certain and honest that you like who you are when you’re in love. If you become more insecure, jealous, unhealthy, unfit, boring, cranky, fighty or unhappy, then reassess.
- Be loving and generous and thoughtful. The small things matter.
- Don’t beat him at Black Ops. He will hate that.
- Do beat him at Black Ops. He will fall even harder in love with you.
- Be honest with him and learn to openly communicate. Passive aggression is frightfully fucked up. Don’t play that way.
- Have fun with him. Why the heck are you in a relationship if you’re not having fun together? You could be single and having fun, or with someone else having fun.
- Love is not “hard” and it does not “hurt” despite what song lyrics tell us. Good, genuine love feels wonderful, easy, joyful. And when it IS hard, how dedicated you both are to working through it makes it even better.